Basil and Olive Oil Pesto
Vibrant, fresh, and simple!
Traditionally, this delicious sauce was made with a mortar and pestle, but now, thanks to modern technology, it can be made in just a few moments with a food processor. Unleash your culinary creativity with fresh, homemade Pesto! This simple yet flavorful sauce can transform any meal into a culinary masterpiece. Elevate your meat, veggies, salads, and sandwiches to a whole new level with Pesto’s magic.
This week, we share our recipe for Basil and Olive Oil Pesto, which pairs perfectly with spaghetti. It is a simple addition to any weeknight meal plan and can be easily stored in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Two garlic cloves
- 6 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 tsp salt + more for cooking the pasta
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 lb dry pasta of choice
Method of Preparation:
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a generous amount of salt (water should taste almost like the Ocean!)
While water is boiling – make Pesto:
- Lightly roast pine nuts in a dry pan until golden
- Let them cool, then place the pine nuts in a food processor. Add garlic, basil, and half a teaspoon salt.
- Start blending and gradually add the olive oil through the opening at the top until incorporated, and you have a consistent, moist paste.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor into a bowl, and hand-mix in the grated parmesan. Add more salt if needed.
- Cook pasta to al dente. Drain, but reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water.
- Mix the Pesto with the pasta, adding some water if needed. Top with a swirl of olive oil and more shaved parmesan