Butternut Squash, Sage Pistachio Pesto with Coconut Cream
Savory and delicious.
As we move into the Christmas holiday weekend, let’s bring that joyful feeling into the kitchen by preparing savory and delicious meals for our loved ones. Below is another flavorful recipe from Kat Jamieson’s Blended cookbook to get you started. Think of her offerings as a beautiful guide inviting you to rē•spin your palate with unexpected flavors. This butternut squash recipe will make the perfect addition to your holiday menu.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- One large onion, peeled, sliced thin
- Two garlic cloves smashed
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (reserve 2 tbsp for plating)
- 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- Drizzle coconut milk
- One clove of garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pistachios 1 tbsp nutritional yeast 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh sage
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
Method of Preparation:
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in sliced onions and a pinch of salt.
- Sweat onions for 5-6 minutes until they are soft.
- Add in garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in water and coconut milk and simmer until the squash is cooked.
- While the soup cooks, make the pesto. Add the garlic, parsley, sage, nutritional yeast, and pistachios into a food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped. Turn the machine on and stream in the olive oil—season with salt and pepper.
- When the veggies are soft and cooked, blend the soup in batches or use an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. To serve, ladle soup into a bowl and garnish a spoon with a tbsp of sage pesto on top and a drizzle of coconut milk.
Blended by Kat Jamieson, Photographer: Jessica J. Alexander
Self-Love Through Nourishment
Wellness chef Shauna Faulisi’s sugar-free chocolate sauce hits the spot
Cremini, Gorgonzola and Gruyere Pizza
Creating delicious memories in the kitchen.
Strawberry and Pink Peppercorn Olive Oil Cake
Elevate your Mother's Day Brunch.