“Cheesy” Popcorn and End of Summer Margaritas
Remember when we waxed poetic about Dr. Will Cole’s beloved ‘joy of missing out,’ an ode to the act of rē-connection with Self? It’s time to lean into that attitude again by giving your next movie night a wellness rē-spin.
We live in a culture that celebrates workaholism, but an over-emphasis on productivity is a problem. Sometimes, it feels more productive to complete a breathwork class or take an ice plunge in the name of a health-promoting activity. But it’s really about the attitude you embrace while doing virtually anything that elevates action into self-care.
And so we introduce the therapeutic side of your next Netflix ‘N Chill. Whether binge-watching your favorite show or streaming a silly comedy, this is your official invitation to park yourself on the couch and fully let go.
While you do so, actress Cameron Diaz shared two recipes for your ideal night-in pairing. Nothing goes with tube time quite like a steaming hot bowl of popcorn, so get ready to munch this spicy-savory treat while sipping on an organic, clean, wine-based margarita using Avaline‘s Sauvignon Blanc, $26.
Grab your coziest blanket, sink into the cushions, turn the lights down low, and start streaming.
Cameron’s “Cheesy” Popcorn Recipe
- 1 cup organic popcorn
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Hot sauce (Cameron loves Cholula)
Method of Preparation:
- Pour your olive oil into a deep saucepan — enough to completely cover the bottom by ½ inch
- Add your popcorn kernels — and eyeball this step. You want enough to cover the bottom of your pan and to ensure every kernel is submerged in oil.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on top of your saucepan, wait for the olive oil to heat up, and pop the corn. Resist the urge to shake it.
- When your popcorn is popping, hold down the lid with a kitchen towel so the popped kernels don’t push the lid off. Quickly dump the overflowing popcorn into a bowl and replace the lid over the pan as the remaining kernels pop.
- Once the popping slows down, most of the kernels are popped. Turn the heat off on your stove and wait a few more seconds. Once more than 5 seconds pass between pops, it is time to transfer the rest of your popcorn to the bowl.
- Add a few pinches of sea salt to your bowl, then a few big pinches of nutritional yeast. Mix everything together with your hands.
- For a bit of spice, line a separate, smaller bowl with a few shakes of hot sauce, add your popcorn, and drizzle another bit of hot sauce to taste, along with some nutritional yeast.
- Enjoy immediately with a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc — or a ‘Sauvy B’ Marg
Avaline’s ‘Sauvy B’ Marg
- Avaline Sauvignon Blanc
- Crushed ice
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sparkling water
- Lime slice to garnish
Method of Preparation:
- Measure 1 cup of Sauvignon Blanc
- Add 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- Add 1 tsp of agave
- Stir vigorously
- Add ice
- Top with sparkling water
- Add lime wheel as garnish