LABOR DAY MENU
Last minute fixes with Chef Maria Emmerich
These quick and easy recipes’ will be sure to be a hit at your socially distant Labor Day BBQ! For more recipes like these, check out my Quick and Easy Ketogenic Recipes book on Amazon!
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ripe avocado
2 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1 teaspoon avocado oil
1 (¹⁄8-inch-thick) slice red onion, separated into rings
1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat a grill to high heat.
2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season on both sides with the salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for 10 minutes, then flip and grill for another 10 to 20 minutes, until cooked through and no longer pink inside (the exact cook time will depend on how large the thighs are).
3. Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half and remove the pit with a spoon. Drizzle the halves with the lime juice and brush with the oil. Place the avocado halves cut side down on the grill along with the onion rings and scallions. Grill for 3 minutes.
4. Remove everything from the grill and place on a platter. Season the avocado with salt to taste. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve each piece of chicken with one-quarter of the avocado and lime wedges.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The chicken and avocado can be served cold over salad greens or reheated in a greased cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Cook Time: minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled & coarsely chopped
1½ cups Greek olives, pitted
1½ cups diced ham
½ cups crumbled blue cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 large tomato, diced
1 small red onion, diced
¾ cups Blue Cheese Dressing, for serving
1. Arrange the romaine lettuce on a serving platter. Place the chopped hard-boiled eggs on top of the lettuce at one end of the platter.
2. Working your way across the platter, place the olives next to the eggs, followed by the ham, blue cheese, tomato, and onion.
3. Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing.
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
½ cups marinara sauce
1 (8-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Chopped fresh basil leaves (reserve some for garnish)
Halved cherry tomatoes, sliced olives, diced bell peppers, and/ or diced onions
1 tablespoon Pizza Spice Mix (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and save them for another recipe, such as Mushroom Ragu (page 300).
3. Place the mushroom caps, gill side up, on the lined baking sheet. Evenly distribute the sauce, cheese, and pizza toppings among the mushroom caps. Sprinkle with the spice mix (if using).
4. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the mushrooms are soft. Garnish with additional fresh basil leaves.
To make a single serving, use 2 large portobello mushrooms, ¼ cup marinara sauce, 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, and the toppings of your choice, along with 1½ teaspoons Pizza Spice Mix, if desired. A toaster oven is ideal for making this size portion
Cook Time: 5-8 hours
Yield: 16 servings
1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast
3-4 canned chipotle chiles
2 cups beef bone broth, store bought or homemade
⅓ cups coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
¼ cups lime juice
2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, or cloves from 1 head roasted
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
16 large Boston lettuce leaves
1. Place a layer of onions on the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. Place the roast and chiles on top of the onions. Pour the broth, vinegar, and lime juice over the roast, then add the garlic, salt, and spices to the slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours, until the beef falls apart and can be shredded with a fork.
3. Remove the roast and transfer it to a cutting board. Shred the meat and serve in lettuce or tortilla wraps with your desired toppings.
SHREDDED PURPLE CABBAGE
SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHESE (omit for dairy-free)
SOUR CREAM (omit for dairy-free)