Mother’s Day Brunch: Smoked Salmon Everything Bagel Frittata
rē•spinning a breakfast classic.
Nothing says Mother’s Day like a delicious brunch to celebrate the mother figures in our lives, whether blood-related or our chosen family. Certain dishes feel like brunch classics — stacks of pancakes, French toast, eggs of all varieties, and a bowl of fresh fruit. This year, our Mother’s Day inspiration comes from Alexandra Hill, a personal chef and recipe developer, and her favorite breakfast sandwich: the bagel with cream cheese and lox.
Taking these classic breakfast ingredients, and rē-spinning them into a decadent brunch option, will help make your Mother’s Day brunch a celebration to remember. Rather than spreading a scoop of cream cheese on a bagel and adorning it with onions, tomatoes, and capers, you can take everything a step further. Because, why not? First, we will transform these ingredients into a frittata before enveloping it between two halves of an ever-so-satisfying everything bagel.
Smoked Salmon Everything Bagel Frittata
Toasted everything bagels and Cream cheese
Medium Cast iron pan
Everything Bagel Frittata Ingredients:
- 8 eggs, preferably organic & pasture-raised
- ½ cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons of chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon of everything bagel seasoning (Trader Joe’s Carrie’s is a great brand)
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 5 oz smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, green onions and chives in a bowl and whisk together. Be careful not to overmix so your frittata is light and fluffy!
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat until it bubbles. Add the egg mixture to the hot cast iron and cook until the edges start to set, about 5 minutes.
- Once the edges are set, add the frittata to the oven and cook for about 18-20 minutes until the frittata is puffed and the middle is set.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and let it cool slightly before adding the toppings.
- Add the smoked salmon, capers, red onions, tomatoes and everything bagel seasoning on top of the frittata.
- Serve with toasted everything bagels and cream cheese for people to assemble their breakfast sandwich or slice of frittata. Enjoy!