Pan Seared Black Cod with Saffron Yellow Pepper Coulis
Prepare to impress with this exquisite Pan Seared Black Cod recipe with Saffron-Yellow Pepper Coulis. This dish can be completed easily in under an hour by utilizing only the freshest seasonal ingredients, including saffron, white wine, black cod, and olive oil. Perfect for a special occasion or simply for indulging in a delicious, restaurant-quality meal at home.
- 6 tbsps. kyoord high-phenolic olive oil – divided
- ½ cup diced fennel bulb (about half of medium fennel) + fronds for garnish
- Three yellow bell peppers cut into ½” strips.
- Six cloves garlic smashed.
- One sprig rosemary
- 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup fish broth (see recipe note below or use pre-made)
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- Six filets of black cod, skin on, about 6-8 oz. each
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced lemons for garnish
Method of Preparation:
- In a sauté pan, heat 4 tbsps. Olive oil to medium-high and add peppers and fennel. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown around the edges.
- Add garlic, rosemary, salt, and paprika, and cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and allow it to evaporate mostly.
- Remove a few softened strips of yellow pepper and reserve for serving.
- Add stock and saffron, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then remove the rosemary sprig and puree using an immersion blender (or in a food processor) until completely smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan, bring it back to a boil, and reduce till the coulis is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (if not already).
- Meanwhile, pat the fish filet dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy cast iron pan on high.
- Brush the fish filets with the remaining 2 tbsps olive oil on both sides.
- Sear skin-side down for 3-4 minutes till almost done.
- Flip and continue searing for about 1 minute until the fish is done.
- Spoon the coulis sauce onto serving plates, place the fish in the center, and garnish with lemon slices and fennel fronds.
- Serve with baguette croutons smeared with Rouille.
Fish Stock recipe:
- Two whole medium fish, filets removed and used for another recipe (such as bass, snapper, branzino, etc.), or 2 pounds of fish trimmings from your fish market.
- Five cups assorted aromatic and root vegetables – cut into large chunks. Use your favorites –
- Onion, garlic, fennel, carrots, parsnips, celery stalks or roots, turnips, leeks, cabbage, squash, etc.
- 1-2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot, add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or more. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Strain broth and store in 1-2 cup containers.
- Discard fish and veggies or salvage edible bits and enjoy