Recipe rē•spin: Blueberry Muffins
With a healthy twist.
Baking with olive oil is truly a game-changer. You’ll no longer have to worry about your baked goods suddenly drying overnight with this secret ingredient. Instead, olive oil will keep them moist for days!
This healthy blueberry muffin recipe ditches the “naughty” butter and white sugar you commonly find in baked goods and utilizes more nutritious ingredients like Greek yogurt, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, and olive oil.
The fresh blueberries will give your muffins a delicious zing, while the Greek yogurt adds protein and the whole wheat flour adds fiber – and let’s not forget about the amazing health benefits of using a high-phenolic olive oil like kyoord. Talk about a nutritious and delicious snack!
Bonus benefit: These muffins do great in the freezer, so stock up for a quick healthy breakfast or snack for the kids.
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Two large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top, optional
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Add the olive oil, brown sugar, two eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix with a whisk or electric mixer for a minute or two until everything combines well.
- Add the whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour to the bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined (do not overmix).
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Add batter to the prepared muffin pan. I like to use a large cookie/ice cream scoop so they’re even.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes. Check to see if they are done by inserting a toothpick in the center of a muffin(if it comes out clean, they’re done).
- Allow muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes before eating.