Strawberry and Pink Peppercorn Olive Oil Cake
Elevate your Mother's Day Brunch.
A simple snack cake is taken to the next level without the additional effort required in elevating a recipe from everyday to exceptional. This glistening, berry-studded beauty will satisfy everyone at the table and takes no more than a few minutes of prep. Strawberry and Pink Peppercorn Olive Oil Cake.
Perfect for Mother’s Day brunch, but also for curing the midday slump that hits right before your 3 o’clock meeting. Customizable and quick, feel free to substitute with whatever fruit or spices you have.
- 1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 3/4 cup kyoord High-phenolic Olive Oil + more for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of semolina flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Three large eggs
- Two large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of full-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp of Meyer lemon zest (or whatever citrus you have on hand)
- 3 tbsp of fresh Meyer lemon juice (or whatever citrus you have on hand)
- 1 tbsp of crushed pink peppercorn, divided
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- By lightly brushing with olive oil, prepare a 10″ springform or 9×13″ rectangular pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a layer of parchment, then brush the parchment with olive oil lightly as well. Sprinkle the pan with 2 tbsp of granulated sugar, rotating the pan while you generously coat the sides and the base. Tap out the extra.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced berries, 2 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of crushed pink peppercorn, and 1 tbsp of lemon zest. Put aside while you prepare the batter.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, semolina flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of crushed pink peppercorn, and 1/2 tsp of salt in a large bowl.
- Thoroughly whisk the eggs, egg yolks, yogurt, remaining lemon zest, and juice in a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients over top of the wet, and fold the batter together gently till smooth and no lumps of flour remain.
- Pour the olive oil into the mixture, and gently fold the oil into the batter till all of the oil is fully incorporated, and the batter is homogenous.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into the sugar-coated pan. Add a single layer of sliced strawberries, using about half of them. Pour the remaining batter over the layer, spreading with a spatula to create an even surface.
- Using the remaining strawberries, top the olive oil cake with another single layer. Again, some overlap is fine– get artistic! Finally, sprinkle the last 1 tsp of crushed pink peppercorn over the top and 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes until it develops a golden brown crust and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Self-Love Through Nourishment
Wellness chef Shauna Faulisi’s sugar-free chocolate sauce hits the spot
Cremini, Gorgonzola and Gruyere Pizza
Creating delicious memories in the kitchen.
Olive Oil Magic Shell
rē•spin on a childhood classic.