Tuna Crudo with Passionfruit Vinaigrette
Let your tastebuds run free.
Crudo is a thinly-sliced raw fish dish, typically sprinkled with some citrus juice or a light citrus olive oil vinaigrette. Not to be confused with Ceviche, which is marinated beforehand. We find it infinitely versatile.
The freshest fish and an excellent homemade vinaigrette are the base, and from there, you have to let your creativity run free using peak-season produce.
The key to a stunning presentation and irresistible flavor is to layer the crudo with various textures and colors – crispy leaves in greens and reds, crunchy veggies sliced paper thin on a mandoline, and some sweet and juicy veggies for added contrast. Then, use the ingredients that tickle your palate and make you happy, or experiment with some exotic ones. This is by far one of our favorite ways to enjoy tuna.
- 12 Oz. Sushi-grade tuna
- 4 tbsp. High-phenolic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice from 2 Passion fruits – seeds reserved
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Juice from ½ orange
- One teaspoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup assorted seasonal leaves such as radicchio, red endive, shiso leaves, basil, or micro greens
- ¼ cup thinly sliced on a mandoline seasonal root veggies such as radish, kohlrabi, carrots, baby turnips, or fennel
- ½ cup softer or juicy veggies such as avocado, cherry tomatoes, or husk cherries
- ½ lemon sliced thin on a mandoline (optional)
- 2 tsp reserved passion fruit seeds
- 1 tsp or, to taste, minced fresh hot pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds or furikake
Method of Preparation:
- Using an immersion blender or small food processor, mix all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Spread about ⅓ of the vinaigrette on a serving platter.
- Slice tuna as thin as possible (it helps to put it in the freezer for 15 minutes) and arrange it on top of the vinaigrette in a single layer
- Drizzle another ⅓ of the vinaigrette on top.
- Arrange all leaves and veggies artfully on top of the dressed tuna.
- Add the rest of the vinaigrette on top.
- Finish by garnishing with citrus slices, the reserved passion fruit seeds, sesame seeds, hot peppers, and a dash of kyoord olive oil.